July 16, 2008

Update on the boys!

Update...
Things are getting back to normal around here. Jordan is still sore and trying to regain some movement, but is doing so much better than he was yesterday. We've been cooped up, but we're going to get out tonight and have a little break from the mundane. Sam is doing very well. He's still on antibiotics for his ears. He's starting to eat and drink better and we'll know more when he sees the pediatrician in a couple of days. He seems to be back to his laughing, woogie boogie, silly self so we are happy about that. He still wonders why Jord hasn't picked him up and swung him around or played on the floor with him, but that will soon come we hope. Thanks for all the nice help and yummy food everyone. It has sure helped and we love you all.

For all of you who know what has been going on in the last couple of days with Jordan and Sam here is a bit of an update. It's been a busy week.

Jordan had his gallbladder taken out today, it's been a long day and the doctor was surprised to see how inflamed and engorged his gallbladder was. They had a little harder time than they thought that they would. He is now resting and coping with lots of medication. He is doing fine, but upset because he wont be able to hold Sam for at least 3 weeks. I will update all those who are interested again soon. Thanks for all your support and help and well wished. We love you all.

Samuel was rushed to the hospital on the 15th early in the morning because of a
febrile seizures. He started vomiting and spiked a fever which gave him the seizure. We found out he has a pretty serious ear infection. He had no signs what so ever, no redness around his ear, he wasn't tugging on it and he was being a happy little boy as usual the whole day. When we laid him down for bed he started to fuss and when I went and got him to calm him down he vomited. He then felt better enough to have a quick bath in the sink and go back to bed. About an hour after being sound asleep he woke with gagging and mumbling. I am now convinced this was his first seizure and we were completely unaware. He seemed dazed and that he was going to throw up again so I wrapped him in a towel and rocked him. He was relaxing fine when he suddenly lunged forward in my lap. I got the bowl ready for him and that is when he started shaking violently. He stopped shaking and then started gasping and gagging as if he was choking. We then realized he wasn't breathing and while I called 911 Jordan tried to clear his airway and start compressions. After 4 minutes or so he started to breath. The paramedics arrived and realized it was a febrile seizure and transported him to the hospital. They tried to perform a Lumbar puncture (spinal tap) which turned out to be very traumatic and wasn't successful, but we are now monitoring him with medications and allowing him to rest and watching him closely. He seems to be doing better as of today and we are hoping that he will not have another seizure or medical problem. The Dr's said that he is a little more at risk for another episode, but we will keep our eye on him carefully.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kern County Kids Read said...

Wow! You've had your share of excitement lately. I'm glad everyone is doing better!

Michelle said...

Oh my goodness. What an awful thing to have to deal with. I'm so glad you were both there to help, I'm sure I'd have been a wreck. I hope both Jordan and Sammy get feeling better soon.