April 3, 2010

Uplifted!

We were fortunate to be able to go to the morning session of General Conference today. The sun was shining, everyone was so friendly and kind as usual and the flowers and trees were budding and blooming. Jordan and I have had tickets to conference for the last couple of conferences and we really enjoy going. It gives us a chance to focus on the important things and have some alone time together to feel the spirit. Some Sunday's we struggle to hear the messages in sacrament because we have to keep track of Sam's reverence at times. We always feel like the session we get to go to is taylor made for us. This mornings session talked about the importance of family and finding that personal relationship with each child in the family. It was just what we needed and we appreciated the music very much. There is nothing like hearing the Mormon Tabernacle Choir in person. I was very happy the morning was peaceful and sunny and enjoyable. Jordan had to park quite aways away from the conference center and he kindly dropped me off on the corner and I stood waiting for him. Lucky me I was standing in the entrance line right next to a protester, but this time it was very strange. I shared a story with Jordan about attending the very first session of conference in the new building. They had no established the protesters line yet and there were record numbers that first session. I remember being accosted with massive poster images of aborted babies and men swinging garments on sticks high in the air. There was no getting around them and you couldn't help but look at them and hear their messages, unfortunately.  This year as very different. Even though I was standing right next to a protester, his sign was unreadable and his shouting wasn't audible. I thought it was a bit strange at first, but I realized I literally was being protected from it. Sounds strange, but I truly believe that in my prayers last night my concerns of being affected by it was lessened. It was nice.

My parents came and grabbed Sam for the morning. They took him down to Little America to have brunch with my brother and wife and their children. Sam got to see the Easter Bunny and talk with him. Apparently he was very funny with the bunny and gave him lots of hugs and kisses. The Easter bunny told him he would bring him lots of fun things for the morning. Sam also got to go swimming and apparently he was very active because he came home and crashed for nearly 3 hours. I was able to get a lot done thankfully. We are having a big Easter dinner at our house this year. I made some really cute table arrangements with eggs and flowers and made some table runners out of a cute Spring print I found. Easter is always an exciting holiday for us. We are so grateful for the gift of the atonement and for the love of Jesus Christ and we feel like this year is going to be a great one. Jordan and I have noticed that lately we've been surrounded by some really amazing people. Family and friends that care so much for us and want us to be happy and help us in the endeavor. There is no shortage of love around here and it feels really good.

Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Lori said...

I love that experience you had with not hearing that protestor or being able to decipher his sign. Yes, I am so grateful for Easter also. We are so blessed because of it. I am glad you had a good conference session with Jordan. And nice to hear that Sam had such a blast. Enjoy tomorrow.