So today was awful. I am so surprised at how this week has turned out. Not once did I ever think that Sam's surgery would ever turn in to such a huge debacle. After almost a whole day of not eating, drinking, peeing, or taking medication we ended up in the Primary Children's Hospital ER. We went up around noon time and got home in the evening. They talked about keeping him over night, but luckily he perked up and proved he could handle it at home for now on. I think they were a bit surprised the we didn't come in earlier because of the state he was in. The doctors were all very nice and capable which always goes so far with us. We've had some experiences in the past that have made us a bit skeptical of ER physicians. My advice...always go to PCMC, they know their stuff. Sam was gray in the face, his eyes were glazed and cold, he couldn't walk or even talk and he pretty much just laid there and let them examine him. He was so dehydrated that his gums were white, his lips were white and when you pushed on his skin it just kept the indent. He had been throwing up bile all morning and every time it happened, he would profusely apologize for throwing up. His heart just pounded in his chest and it got scary for a bit there when he wouldn't respond to anyone. They had a very difficult time putting his IV in. Fair skinned children have difficult veins and Sam is no exception. Unfortunately I gave him my terrible hiding, thin green veins. Sorry buddy. They stuck him multiple times, and after the first failure they called in the big guns, literally. This dude was hardcore. He was a big beefy guy covered in tribal tattoos and a mild mohawk. He was loud and used tough guy talk with Sam. He was very cool though and he turned out to be the one person who showed the most care for Sam. He went and found a really cool matchbox car for him and went to the quilt station and gave him the coolest puppy dog tied quilt. Sam immediately snuggled up in the quilt and did his best to enjoy the slushy he was given. They ended up having to give him morphine which helped tremendously. They also put a special varnish on his mouth that numbed it up so he could drink and eat. He came home and had some apple sauce and some cold noodles. He put up a fight before he finally fell asleep and refused medication, but we were able to reason with him and he listened luckily.
Our newly changed health care plan's deductible has now been met. Not that we once thought about the deductible, but now, wow, I guess we met it tonight. I am grateful for the care and I'm extremely happy that everyone treated him so well up there. I'm grateful for an awesome children's hospital that is just up the road and takes no time to get there. I'm grateful for health insurance (despite it being greatly diminished for a number of factors). I'm grateful for friends and family that help out and check in on us. Thanks Mere for offering help and for every ones well wishes and prayers. This week has been very frustrating. At times, there has been so much tension and frustration you could cut it with a knife. There has been such a heartbreaking feeling lingering around here. With time it will diminish. Tomorrow will be better.

2 comments:
Glad he's back home. Hope he keeps making improvements. I know when A was dehydrated from the stomach bug recently it was super scary. When they won't talk to you, it's just heartbreaking!
I'm sorry you guys are going through a rough time. It's so scary being a parent sometimes. We will remember you guys in our prayers. I showed Josh your last post with the pictures of the frenectomy, and while he doesn't have much dental experience with kids, he said it was kind of surprising that he had all the tissue on the top and bottom. Poor guy! I can only imagine how rough that must be. I'm glad Sam received good ER care that gave you some peace of mind. Keep us posted.
Post a Comment