My First Injury-it just happens to be a huge first injury
We had a little mishap yesterday. Mom didn't realize how well I move and I fell off the bed and broke my femur. The doctors said this was about a 1 in a million chance of happening and that we just had a bout of bad luck. Darn it!
Here is the whole story for those of you who don't know.
Yesterday Sam was playing on the bed with his telephone (his favorite toy so far), he was in the very middle and facing the wrong way for a roll off...but as I was just walking in to bring him some socks I see him roll off. Instantly a scream and then whaling and then more screaming. I did a check over of him and he didn't seem to pull back or flinch at anything I touched. He calmed down just a bit to fall asleep and rest, but then woke with a poopie diaper and more whimpering. I grabbed his legs and he winced on the left leg. I figured it was the best thing to do to rush him to the insta care right down the road. They got us in after waiting for a little while, first they had lost the information I filled out and then there was a delay getting us in, but that's understandable it's an insta care...who doesn't wait. Well we got in to see the doctor and he first stated that his daughter fell down a flight of stairs on to concrete when she was 9 months and that toddlers are like gumbie and rarely have problems from a fall as short as Sam's was. He fell about 2 1/2 feet on to carpet. He ran his hands over him and did a little bicycle motion with his legs all while Sam was screaming his head off. He sent us home saying that he was just fine and to not worry unless he starts to vomit or his eyes roll back in his head. We would later realize that the pulling on his legs most likely aggravated his break and caused more pain for him. I just knew there was something wrong, something seriously wrong. Every time I would pick him up he would pull his legs in to himself and scream. I thought maybe his ribs, but I was pretty sure it was his left leg. So Daddy got home from work and we took him up to IMC (which is lovely by the way, so fresh and new), everyone was so nice and sweet with Sam. He had moments of laughter and games of 'do as I'm doing' and patty cake clap your hangs games, but when you moved him or examined him there was no consoling him. The X ray's came back, he had a slight break in his femur down towards his knee. They then put him in a splint and then sent us up to Primaries to be looked at by a Pediatric Orthopedist, they offered us the ambulance, but uh no...I think we could make it on our own. I think the ambulance would have scared him even more, plus we needed to get him a change of clothes because he piddled all over his others while getting X ray's. So, off to Primaries we went, there was a little wait and then they put us in a trauma room which was huge and really daunting. To make this already long story a little shorter, they re splinted him, pumped him full of narcotics and was scheduled for a cast and an assessment from an orthopedic surgeon. He will be in the cast approx. 4-6 weeks. They say the break is nowhere near his growth plates or going to impede in his ability to crawl and toddle. They say it's actually a very minute fracture and if he weren't in so much pain they would probably just leave him to heal. He's resting fine and his pain is somewhat under control. It's hard when they can't tell you where it hurts or how badly.
Please keep him in your prayers that he'll heal well and not be in so much pain. And a little advice to those who have brand new little ones....never leave them alone where they can fall or get hurt. Even if it's just for a second. I literally was gone for 5 seconds and this happened. I feel awful. He'll need lots of hugs and kisses.
1 comment:
Oh, poor poor boy! I have nightmares all the time that something like that will happen to Peter. I can't believe what a trooper he is. We'll definitely be thinking about you guys.
Post a Comment