February 7, 2011

Smothered Steak & Micro Greens Salad

I developed a great version to the original smothered steak recipe tonight. I didn't have much energy to do it the traditional way so I just threw it in the crock pot and hoped for the best. It sure was the best. My version has less fat and calories than the original recipe because I don't use any oil or flour on the meat.

2-3 Round Steaks (1 day ahead of time, place steaks in a baggy and season with salt pepper, onion powder and garlic powder)
3 Tsp. minced dried onion
1 1/2 Tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 can Mushroom Soup
1/4 C. water + 1/4 C. of cooking liquid from the steaks.
I usually add a handful of mushrooms, but tonight didn't. Serve with Rice or Red Potatoes & the Micro Greens Salad.

In your crock pot, add seasoned steak and cook on high for 2 or so hours. Juice will accumulate in the bottom, siphon out all but just a smidgen of liquid and reserve it. Once the steak is cooked, removed and slice thinly in to strips or cubes. At the bottom of crock pot add your onions, mushrooms and 1/4 C. of your siphoned beef broth. Add soup, cubed steak, Worcestershire sauce and water. Cook for an additional hour.

Micro Greens
1 handful of micro greens per person.
Slivered red pepper
2T. Roasted sunflower seeds
2-3T Crumbled Feta
1 small minced shallot
1/2 sliced Fuji/Gala Apple
Dressing: Dump all in to a mason jar and shake/dressing is best when it's cold.
2 T. Lite Olive Oil
2.5 T. Seasoned Rice Vinegar
1 heaping T. Sugar/Splenda
Pinch each of salt and pepper
Sprinkle of Poppy Seeds

No comments: