July 23, 2010

Yum

Homemade
White Peach-Nectarine-Mango Ice Cream
Finally made a batch of ice cream today. Sounds like a funny combination, but it's so wonderfully delicious your lips will fall off. My Mom gave me some nectarines, mangos, white peaches and apricots and I just couldn't eat every one of them. The fruits that started to get too soft I peeled a cubed and sauteed them in 1/4 c. of sugar and 1/4 c. of water and a pinch of salt. I added that mixture to my almond ice cream base and voila! My next batch for tomorrow night will be Bananas Foster. I'll put both recipes up so you can call try them too.

                                                   
  This week has been such a hectic week and I thought this would be a good treat to lead us in to the holiday weekend. Sam is in a little parade tomorrow and we've been decorating his fire truck. We have an early neighborhood breakfast tomorrow morning and then a family BBQ to watch the Liberty fireworks from our front lawn. 

Ice Cream Base- Add to this whatever combination of fruit, nuts, chocolate, candy etc. (one of our favorites is buying a pie like apple or strawberry and putting about half of the pie in the mix halfway through the ice cream cycle)

1 Pint Half & Half
1 can Sweet & Condensed Milk (this will be all the sugar you need if you're not adding fruit)
1 can of Evaporated Milk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 tsp. Almond Extract (optional)
2 c. Whole Milk....or you could do 1 1/2 c %2 milk and 1/2 c heavy cream. 
 
Bananas Foster Mix In: 2-3 Ripe, but not mushy bananas sliced, 1/3 c brown sugar, 2 Tsp butter, 2Tsp Rum (you can use extract, but the real thing does work better....I wont tell if I see you at the liquor store, I promise) + a pinch of salt.  In a non stick pan place sugar and butter on medium heat, watch it but don't touch it. Obviously don't let it burn, but as soon as it starts to melt role the pan to coat the whole bottom and then add your sliced bananas. Simmer and coat bananas evenly until you have what looks like a glassy caramel. Add rum and let it bubble for 1-2 minutes then add your pinch of salt. I use large crystal sea salt because it tastes better.  You can put this mixture (cooled it will be a little chunky when it's cool..no worries) in to your ice cream base half way through or just pour it (warm) over the ice cream once it's hardened. 
                                                        



No comments: