January 20, 2012

Pressured


I've been pressured to get another post out so here it is Mom.

It's been a busy time around here well for the last 4 months. I can't say my time is always wisely spent hurrying around the house cleaning and organizing, making sure domestic life is taken care of and that children and a husband is fed and washed, but I try to keep busy. Lately more so than ever. I feel like I'm constantly in and out of the house, rushing around or trying to pick up the pieces in some area of my life. I also devote most of my blogging time to my other blog Keep It In The Pantry. I've noticed lately that I've had to devote some time to sleeping, since I feel like the last year has finally caught up with me and if I could I just might be able to sleep for a whole month straight with waking if I could. No doubt there has been a lot going on around here.

I haven't been good at taking very many photographs lately. Since having the iPhone growing out of my hand, I usually document through FB the majority of postable activity, but I'll have to go back through and double check my photographs to see if there are any worth posting that you haven't already seen. Here is a quick recap.

  • So we had Thanksgiving dinner here and there. I made dinner for Jordan's family in 2011 with a very different menu of items. Non traditional. I hear it worked out and tasted good.
  • December quickly approached and for some reason I loathed putting up decor and the tree in 2011. I felt the spirit of Christmas early on and continued it until the actual day of Christmas, when I was burned out and ready to become Jewish. I think we might have pushed to hard to make everything Rockwell. 
  • We took the Polar Express trip this year and Sam really enjoyed it and we earned some good parenting points on that one. We made donations and contributed as best as we could and Sam expected that we would do that, so charity is a quality that has stuck with  him and I am very happy and grateful for that. He wanted to bring home every cardboard toting human being he saw for dinner and a meaningful conversation.
  • Sam had his preschool Christmas program and it was fabulous. We quickly discovered that he knows more than he lets on. He had all of his songs memorized and was very animated and quirky as usual, because there really is no other way of doing it. One of the highlights of the month was helping out with our ward Christmas party. By that time the spirit was still in me. An authentic Bethlehem style town was built in our cultural hall and all the efforts that went into the activities and food and nativity was pretty amazing.
  • We gathered with Jordan's sister Chelsea and her husband Bryan and Grandma CeeCee for a holiday outing of good food, a fun movie and some much needed togetherness. We don't feel we get to do that very often so when we do get together it's really nice and special. Sam of course is the center of attention and makes us all laugh. I am now convinced I only gave birth to him to bring humor and a good show most of the time. I am happy to report that Sam has been able to forge a personal relationship with each individual in the family and I think that's pretty unusual. Most kids melt into a family, but not mine, he's got a different and unique personality with each person. 
  • The holiday's with my side of the family are familiar and comfortable. We didn't change anything up to much this year, not to say that there aren't changes going on in each of our families. The Roof dinner was peaceful and calm, it wasn't rushed and we were able to truly enjoy each other and have a delicious meal. We also had a small family gathering on Christmas Eve and felt spoiled. 
  • Christmas morning was interesting. I think the Lord allowed me 1 hour to enjoy the day and watch Sam open presents and play. From then on until New Years, I was ill and lethargic and tuckered out. I had caught some terrible nasty bug somewhere and like a demon from Hell it dwelled in me and spawned the most horrible nastiness you could imagine. Then my family caught it and the helpless feeling of gloomy cold, gray and windy days filled with snot rags, no appetite and a whole lot of bathroom time consumed us all. I am happy to say that I did get a reprieve somewhat on my birthday where I was actually able to stand and enjoy half the day with my family before falling back into bed after presents and cake. Jordan also planned a trip to the Zermatt resort that I was able to enjoy for the first day before I became ill again, but at least I was able to relax in a huge suite with comforting surroundings while continuing my illness. I am happy to report the plague has subsided, but if I ever find out who almost killed me with their germs I will be locked away in prison for decades and if anyone wants to know what my last meal would consist of, here it is. Coconut fried chicken, red fingerling potatoes with lemon dill demi glace, fresh steamed asparagus and pineapple upside down cheesecake. Oh and a coke. 
  • New Years was quiet and normal for us. We can't party goers and really it's just another day to us. I can't remember a time when I cared about where I was or who I was with on New Years Eve. Not being negative, it's just not our thing. We stayed in watched movies, drank some fake wine and seriously went to bed before midnight. The next couple of days was filled with ripping the decorations down, putting the tree with all of it's accoutrements in bins and shoved it down stairs for forever as much as I care. I don't want to hear the words Santa, frosty, elves, candy canes etc. I don't want to hear Christmas music or see anymore lights on houses or trees lit in windows. Put it away people! Jordan jokes that if I could find a truck large enough to pile up all the pathetically discarded Christmas trees on the curb, I'd build me a huge cabin and become a unabomber (uh by the way people, the city shouldn't have to pick up your lazy trees off the curb, that's what your brown refuse can it for, so chop that sucker up and shove it in there and leave that at the curb, not your planet killing, oxygen destroying, pine needle monstrosity).
  • So it's January, it's unusually warm and I'm weirded out. It's kind of a nice change, but does that mean we will have a horrible Summer? Good news is that Valentine's Day is coming up and that is always a fun holiday in our house. I've got cheery decor up and we're getting the house back in order. We've started planning some vacations for the year and they can't come soon enough. We're planning Yellowstone and the Tetons and Vegas and trying to choose between a cruise to Alaska, Disneyland or a trip to the Hawaiian Islands to see much missed family.
  • Apparently today was download day at our house. Sam woke up and just pushed that button to download all of his built up knowledge onto me. I ask him about school all the time and what he's learned, but he failed to mention that he knows the pledge, the first part of the declaration of independence and with a little help the first paragraph of the constitution. I didn't really know the first part of the constitution and I had to look it up. Did I just get swallowed up into a worm hole or did the world end or something? I think because boys are always pinned as unintelligent and mostly sporty and uber busy, we don't realize that we're the dumb ones. Girls are know it alls, they want everyone to know what they are thinking and feeling and how smart they are. Boys are just as smart, but they aren't stupid enough to let it all hang out and show. They are quietly intellectual and only use their knowledge when the time is right. In all of my days asking Sam what he's been learning in school, I've forgotten the first rule; assuming you know more about them, then they know about themselves. It is a total mistake. I just wasn't asking the right questions, but who thinks to ask, "hey so did you learn the three branches of gov today"? Their knowledge only comes out when there is a practical use for it. 
  • I got some laundry done today
  • I'll probably sleep in tomorrow morning like I get to most weekends because church is now later in the day and my husband always wakes up at 6am no matter the day and will play and do dude stuff with Sam until I decide to wake. See, life is good! I do wish my McDonalds would get fixed because I miss my fruit and yogurt parfaits on wed mornings after I drop the kid off at school.
  •  We've successfully built a snowman in the front yard. He's not there now and he's melted into a little heap of buttons, sticks, a lowly carrot, scarf and soggy hat. Here's to more snow so we can go sledding some more and enjoy winter for what it is. 

No comments: